Sunday, April 1, 2012

I rather have friends than frenemies or as I would call them “Mayras” lol..


Frenemy in the dictionary is a noun and refers to a person or group that acts friendly towards each other for convenience but have deep feelings of resentment, rivalry and are in competition with each other. The word is pronounced using a fricative voiceless /f/,liquid voiced /r/, front vowel /ɛ/, nasal voiced /n/, /ɛ/, nasal voiced /m/, front vowel /i/ and ends with a fricative voiceless /s/. Together makes: /frɛnɛmis/.The etymology of this word dates back according to the dictionary to 1953. The word first appeared in print by The Nevada State Journal in an article by Walter Winchell on May 19,1953 “Howz about calling the Russians our Frienemies?”  The word is an example of what can be compounding and blending. By compounding you take two words and make them one. With blending you would take the beginning of a word and the end of the second word and combine them both. For example: “Friend” and “enemy” we would take the beginning of the first word, “Fr” add the second word “enemy” = “Frenemy”. I chose this word because I remembered an old frenemy with which our relationship did not end well because of the constant rivalry and competition with me. As the definition say’s, she was constantly in competition with me to put me down and make herself seem superior to me but was very friendly and insisted on being close to me. It was a weird and confusing friendship from my point and no better word can describe it than “frenemy,” Mayra my frenemy.

Works cited:

"Frenemy." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 28 Mar. 2012. Web. 31 Mar. 2012. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenemy>.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, you made my little blog look like ramblings, lol. This was a cool word to choose. i remember the first time I heard that word. I actually think i have one of those in my life, but I'm not 100% sure yet.Time will tell. I like how you took something personal and combined it with the history of the word; makes it easier to relate to. Your breakdown was good. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete